What is the Small Communities Programme?
We are working to help create as many local eco-communities in Hungary as possible, from homesteads to cities and anything in between. These local communities contribute to building a less environmentally harmful lifestyle, to tying people living in the same place into a community, and to strengthening the local economy. Therefore, our motto is – “Ecology, community, prosperity – locally”.
The Small Communities Programme is a research and action programme. We have been working since 2008 to seek out and get to know local ecological initiatives in Hungary. From 2013 we have been helping ecological communities form and grow in several places by both personal relationships and knowledge sharing. Since founding the Új Koma Háló Network in 2018, we have been encouraging the interconnection of more and more local eco-communities and helping them share their experiences.
The Small Communities Programme is also an awareness-raising and educational initiative.
- In recent years we have published our knowledge and research findings in two books and several publications. The book A közlegelők komédiája (‘Comedy of the Commons’) by the leader of the Programme, András Takács-Sánta, presents in detail why we believe that one of the most promising ways out of the ecological crisis is the rediscovery of small communities. In our other book, Építőkockák egy új világhoz (‘Building Blocks for a New World’), we present local ecological best practices from Hungary and Europe.
- We are operating a continuously updated educational portal called Kiutak.hu. We recommend readings and videos related to various aspects of our lives that can help in the forming and running of local community initiatives. We are also suggesting tips for action for local eco-communities. We are expecting to publish these practical tips as a book entitled Kiútikönyv, in 2021 [the title is a Hungarian pun on ‘guidebook’ and ‘way out’].
- We also often give lectures and talks on the ideas of the Small Communities Programme and our results so far. On occasion our programme appears in the media.
- We have been organising a ten-month long Human Ecology course in Budapest each year since 2010, discussing in detail both the ecological crisis and the possible ways out of it. Occasionally we organise a mini human ecology course of 10-12 lessons for the communities we help in the Hungarian countryside.
- In our summer camps we guide participants in a practical way through experiences towards a community way of life that is closer to nature and more environmentally friendly.
- Occasionally we publish position papers on matters of public policy closely related to our programme. Sometimes we also take a common stand for important issues with other organisations.
Who makes up our team?
Our working groups consist of many knowledgeable, dedicated professionals from a wide range of disciplines. So far almost all of them have worked as volunteers for the Small Communities Programme.
How can you connect with us?
If you live in Hungary and would like to form a local eco-community – whether you live in the city or the countryside – or if you would like to join an already existing community, contact us, we are happy to help!
If you are looking for inspiration for your already existing community, if you would like to learn from other initiatives similar to yours, if you care to share your own experience with others, get to know the Új Koma Háló Network!
If you live somewhere else in the world but you feel like it would be worthwhile to connect us professionally with a similar initiative in your own country, write to us!
If you would like to contribute to our work supporting the formation and operation of as many local eco-communities as possible, support us with your donation!
Follow us here on our homepage, on our Facebook page, or through our monthly newsletter (only in Hungarian) so you can hear about our results, events, initiatives, and opportunities to meet us live!
Get in touch with us if
- You are planning to set up a local eco-community anywhere in the world and you need professional support,
- You want to join an existing community in Hungary, but you still haven’t found the one,
- You and your community are keen to get inspired by and share experience with people involved in other initiatives (e.g. members of the Új Koma Háló network),
- In your opinion a professional, even cross-border cooperation with us might be useful,
- You are willing to support the goals of the Small Communities Programme by donating.
...or send us an email to email@example.com.
Do you also believe that small communities can bring about great changes?
If you have the means to ‘invest’ into the Small Communities Programme either regularly or even on a single occasion or two, we gladly accept all monetary donations. Your donation is crucial to us because we depend mainly on volunteer work and the support of private individuals. You can transfer money directly to our account through Helyi Kisközösségek Nonprofit Kft., the not-for-profit company managing our finances.
Our bank account number in Hungary:
16200151-00151601 – MagNet Bank
International bank account number:
SWIFT code: HBWEHUHB, MagNet Bank
What do we use incoming donations for?
- Organizational and operational costs of the Új Koma Háló Network – donations help us promote the formation and development of local eco-communities in many towns and villages, and to help them use their own experience to support each other.
- Travel expenses and fees for our country-wide fieldwork – donations help us to visit promising local sustainability initiatives and to promote them in our publications, on our website, and in our talks.
- Developing the kiutak.hu portal – we use donations to finance the development costs of our website where we publish tips for action and recommendations of readings and videos to help both forming and already existing local eco-communities.
If you want to support any of these goals in particular, please make a note when transferring your donation.
Another way to support us:
- Supportive Bank Card – if you have a bank account and debit card in Hungary with MagNet Bank you can also support the Small Communities Programme through the Supportive Bank Card program
If you feel that you would like to see local small communities become an active part of the ecological revolution, support us!
Thank you for contributing to our goals with your donation!